Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"I Get To" Tuesdays and a Plea for Time Management Tips

"I Get To" Tuesdays
The thought behind this is to list a few things that could come under the category of "Ugh...I have to (you fill in the blank)". However, Leslie at Writing for the Lord (click on the title to go to her blog)
wants us to look at these "have to's" as blessings of "I get to". We all take for granted such things as our health, jobs, family, friends, etc. and sometimes don't appreciate them or see them as blessings as we should. So here are a few things for me this week.
I get to meet with parents and grandparents who do care enough about their children to come meet with me, a teacher.
I get to take time to eat lunch with a student, when his paraprofessional is not there. I often don't stop to eat lunch. I really do feel better, when I do take time to eat a little something, and especially feel better after taking the time sit with this very thoughtful student.
I get to walk a fairly long distance from one end of the school to the other end and back, an average of 4 times a day. At least I am walking some and getting some exercise. I'm thankful that I can walk.
I get to spend some one on one time with my students testing them. I don't like being out of the classroom teaching for any reason, but I do like being with my students one on one. I don't really like testing, but I do want to learn more about where each of my students are in their learning.
What are your "I get to" blessings this week and also. . .
would you please take time to share with me some of your time management tips--teaching, homeschooling and homemaking.
I would really appreciate your comments.
Thank you!
Sandy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me Sandy! I put a link to your blog in my post. I love your list and that you love spending so much time with your students!

    Time management tips...I need these, too! One thing that helps me at home is that my kids are old enough to help around the house. I find that if I take the time to teach them how to do something, then I don't have to take the time to do it FOR them later. Also, our rule during the school year is that the TV and computers are off from 7-8 PM on week nights so that homework can get done. (Computers may be used for homework during this time.) If you don't have any homework, then find something to
    read!

    Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the spin you put on thinking about daily responsibilities and actions. I read something similar in a book that was written by the woman who the Dangerous Minds character was created off of. I think it's a great way to change one's viewpoint about things and I definitely want to give that a try.

    Thanks for the positive thoughts!

    As for time management...I have never tried this, but have heard when it comes to chores and housework some people like to set a timer to help motivate them. I also find that the busier I am, the better I manage my time. These days with working part time I have way too much time on my hands and I waste so much time online and checking email when I could be out exercising, organizing, reading or doing something more productive!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete